Wednesday 17 July 2013

Review: Le Hérisson

If you follow my blog you'll know that most of it consists around fashion and beauty. As much as I love writing about both of these topics, I also want to further my blog into other genres. One I specifically want to focus on every so often throughout blogging is film.

I love film. By that I mean the film itself, the music within it, the fashion within it and the emotion within it. Films have the ability to warm you from the inside, to make you happy, to enlighten you. They can turn you into an emotional wreck; but the best thing they can do is change your view on the world and open your eyes.

Films are a big part in my life. I love the media and want to work within it, I also love sharing my passion of films with others and discussing them; so every so often there will be a film review or 2 on my blog.

World Cinema is probably my favourite film genre. Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain, Delicatessen, Pans Labyrinth, Only Yesterday... My list of favourite World Cinema films is endless. I find that they push the boundaries of imagination & explore directions and themes which are unknown; and most of all, they are surprising.

One film which fits all of the categories in the previous paragraph is one which I literally finished watching about ten minutes ago.  Le Herisson, or in English, The Hedgehog. It's a French film about an 11 year old girl who unhappily lives in an apartment block with her rich family. She doesn't want to turn into an adult as all those who she knows are depressive and in constant despair, so plans to commit suicide on her 12th birthday. However she ends up with 2 unlikely friendships that begin to alter her decisions...



Now I won't say any more about the plot without ruining it, but if you've read my summary and thought "oh dear this sounds morbid" believe me it is far far from it. This film is on the opposite side of morbid and is wonderfully heart-warming. It isn't new, and is in fact a film from 2009; but it was suggested to me on Netflix (God bless you Netflix) and I was so impressed I had to write about it.




The characters in Le Herisson are so easy to associate with and you understand exactly how they feel. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 & would suggest it to most people I know (especially if you love world cinema as much as I).

Have you seen or heard of Le Herisson before? Do you like World Cinema, if so what are your favourite films?

Alice
  x


No comments:

Post a Comment