Saturday 29 December 2012

Review: Life of Pi

The film version of Life of Pi graced our screens this December after being adapted from the book by Yann Martel.

I had read the book many years ago and the storyline and wonderful writing stuck in my mind, so when it came out I was excited to see it. 


The story begins as a middle aged Piscine (Pi) Patel is approached by a journalist who was told he had an excellent story to tell. Pi then tells the journalist about his life in India as a child when his family owned a zoo, but they had to sell it and decided to move to Canada. The family travelled by ship but a storm resulted in it sinking, with Pi being the only survivor. It moves on to become a story in which Pi manages to cope on board on a small boat with Richard Parker (a Bengal tiger), and how he (Pi) battles with his spiritual beliefs whilst he drifts in the ocean.

I was kind of disappointed when I heard that Ang Lee was directing this film. Not because I dislike Ang Lee's films, but because one of my favourite directors, - Jean Pierre Jeunet, was originally going to direct Life of Pi but had to pull out due to budgetary reasons.

Upon seeing the trailer, I did suspect that the film might have used too much CGI and it would look fake. However when I did actually see the film this wasn't the case at all. Life of Pi is so beautiful visually. and the opening to introduce the film was wonderful.

What was also brilliant about the film was that it stuck to the book; using little details which drew you to remember key points in the story. Suraj Sharma showed so much emotion and was the perfect person to play the role of Pi. 

So to all those considering going to watch Life of Pi, it is definitely recommended. The film will stick with you  for a long time afterwards. I'm even tempted to go and see it a second time!



Have you seen Life of Pi? What did you think of it? Let me know.

Alice
  x


No comments:

Post a Comment