Thursday 8 August 2013

New Found Love: Oh Comely Magazine

It's not very often I buy magazines any more. The phases of buying them once a week or month usually wear out for me after a while. I've been through many magazines but always seem to get bored or only like certain sections. However, when I travel by train I always feel an urge to browse in WHSmiths and choose a magazine to flick through. A couple of weeks ago I had a nosey before catching my train to Hull and Oh Comely caught my eye...


I've flicked through Oh Comely before but never properly read the entire magazine. It's a fairly costly magazine as it's £4, but I decided to give it a read. The fact that there was an article with Audrey Tatou (aka AMELIE - I love that film too much) and weird, random pictures didn't influence me at all...

Oh Comely is genuinely a fantastic read. It seems so random as it has so many different parts scattered throughout the magazine. They feature various artists (both the musical and drawing/painting etc kind), simple recipes and much more. Issue Sixteen (which is the current issue) features an array of portraits, including families who live on houseboats, Japanese bookbinding and taste testing fried chicken. See what I mean? The mix of content is odd but works brilliantly.



The design itself in the magazine is rather minimalist but with dreamy photographs and small text. The layout also differs as you go through Oh Comely, and your eye is drawn to something new every time you turn the page. I will definitely be purchasing Oh Comely again. The only problem is that it's bi-monthly so I have to wait a while until the next issue!



Have you read Oh Comely before? What are your favourite magazines?

Alice
  x

No comments:

Post a Comment