Friday 30 August 2013

Recent Favourites

Everyone goes through phases right? Once every few months you find a new band and listen to them constantly or you'll be bowled over by that new film a friend told you to watch.

I love reading posts of people's recent favourite things as I'm kind of nosey, so I decided to do my own.



Being a lover of foreign films (see my last review of Le Herisson) my friend suggested the French film The Intouchables to me, and thanks to the wonder of Netflix I watched it the other day.

The Intouchables is a comedy-drama film which follows the story of an ex-criminal who becomes the carer of a wealthy man with tetraplegia (paralysis of the body minus the head). It's a wonderful film which shows you the struggles the two men face with each other as they get to become good friends. As a film it completely grips you as you expect it to be sad, yet it isn't at all. There are many hilarious moments in it which will make you literally laugh out loud. A definite watch for those who enjoy foreign films and want something easy-going but interesting.


A couple of months ago I started reading Chuck Palahniuk's books after finally getting around to reading Fight Club (the film is amazing but the book - wow). After being amazed by Fight Club I also read Haunted which contained the gut-wrenching story which is ironically called Guts. His work is so different to anything I've ever read before, it's weird, obscene and downright brilliant.

Recently I bought Choke second-hand from World of Books and so far it's great. The story is about a man who causes himself to choke mid-way through every meal in a restaurant to fund his mother's care home and what he starts to discover. Everyone should give at least one Chuck Palahniuk book a read. 



Music wise I pretty much like most genres, although my favourites are rock, alternative music and screamo. I love using Spotify to create playlists and to find new music. When listening to a band and going on their profile, a suggestion list pops up at the side suggesting other bands you may like. The other day when listening to Rolo Tomassi (one of my favourite bands), a band at the side caught my eye called The Blood Brothers. I had never heard of the band before but their name really drew me to want to listen to them as I love Blood Brothers the play. 

The first song I listened to was Love Rhymes with Hideous Car Wreck, and after that I was smitten. Their music is my favourite kind of genre, which is post-hardcore. They sing/scream and mix up their songs. I love music that isn't repetitive and when the guitar riffs and drum beats completely change halfway during a song. It was slightly depressing to find out The Blood Brothers split up in 2007 though, as they'd be great to watch live. 

With most bands, I usually download a couple of their songs off iTunes and that's it. You know you've found a really good band when you like every single song; so after giving most of their albums a listen I ordered 3 of them off Amazon last night.

If you like post-hardcore, give The Blood Brothers a try and let me know what you think.



What have your favourite reads/songs/films been this month?

Alice
  x

No comments:

Post a Comment