Sunday 1 September 2013

How to Make a New Room More Homely


Being a student, it's either living in a house or student accommodation on/around the campus. Sometimes it's easy to quickly settle into your new home, or you may find it takes time to adjust and become comfortable. It can be rather annoying when you finally find yourself happy and cosy in your current flat/house then all of a sudden August arrives and it's time to move again. 

It's now my third year at university, and I've just moved into a new house. I definitely prefer living in a house compared to student accommodation but that's just me. In second year, I lived with 3 of my friends from first year in quite a small house. Don't get me wrong it was a lovely house, but it was quite tiny. My room was the smallest in the house and even though I did choose it, I realised I kind of had too many things to put in it... This year however we decided to move to a new house with 2 more people and it's HUGE! 

When I moved half of my things to the new house I was immediately excited to decorate it (anyone else get that?). My room this year is a lot bigger and the perfect size for hoarding loads of shoes/handbags/notebooks/makeup/camera film etc. It took me 3 hours just to put up my posters and photos in all the right places... 

Anyway the whole point of this post is that I wanted to share my room on a blog post with you guys to give some tips on how to make a new room cosy & decorated to your taste.





To stop the walls looking so bare (student rooms are usually white walled or quite plain) add some posters or postcards that mean something to you or consist of something you like. I put up my map poster as I'm obsessed with map print everything... My postcards are from my Moonrise Kingdom DVD, and the two postcards are from a cute independent shop in Lincoln called Rock Paper Scissors and an art gallery in Edinburgh. 



Flowers really liven up your room and add some brightness if your bedroom looks a little plain. I trekked up Steep Hill to my local greengrocers for this lovely bunch. Oh and excuse my bag of q-tips in the background...





Yet more postcards and posters. The ones on the cupboard are from Bruges when I went as a teenager and are my favourite postcards. The Project Wild Thing and The Man Whose Mind Exploded posters are two wonderful documentaries I saw on my shift at the Sheffield Documentary Festival this year. My Alexisonfire poster doesn't have to be explained (favourite band). I loved the look of the New York Subway poster which I think I bought in Paperchase a few years ago. The butterfly poster is inspired by the 1966 film Daisies and is from Sheffield's Botanical Gardens. 

Putting up an inspirational type of poster will not only make your room look cosy but will motivate you. My 'Be Yourself' poster was from website which told you to describe how you felt about university and would choose & send you a beautifully designed poster with inspirational quote on it. I can't remember it's name off the top of my head but I will search my favourites tab for the website address and update this post when I do.

I didn't have anywhere to put my necklaces and bobbles so I made a makeshift one from wall pins. It isn't pretty or anything, but it works. 


Another way to make your room more homely is to put gig/cinema/train/arcade tickets on your walls or wardrobe to remember good times with your friends or a visit to another city. As you can see my Alexisonfire one precedes the others as it was my favourite ever gig. Underneath these I also have a photo collage of me and friends/family but decided to not photograph them as they're personal to me. 

Are you in a student house or halls this year? How do you make your room feel cosy?

Alice
  x

No comments:

Post a Comment