Wednesday 4 September 2013

Weekly Wantings: Matcha







If you haven't heard of Matcha before then where have you been?! 

Matcha is everywhere at the moment and keeps growing in popularity. It's fine, powdered green tea powder which is mainly used in drinks and originates from Japan. The tea is made from shade-grown tea leaves and is known for its very strong taste. Matcha is popping up everywhere at the moment and can even be found in your local cafe in the form of a Matcha Latte (which by the way is delicious). 

I haven't tried pure Matcha yet but I have indulged in matcha flavoured products such as the latte I mentioned previously, as well as cakes, mochi and ice cream. I'm a green tea obsessive and can drink cup after cup. All my friends and housemates know me as the tea girl in general but green tea is always the one I drink the most. 

The health benefits of matcha are one of the reasons it's so lusted after (and also why I'm lusting after it). It's said to improve your focus and aid with weight loss whilst having 70 times the amount of antioxidants of orange juice. The only downside to matcha is it's price. 

Matcha has stood out to me for a while, but because of how expensive it is I've never bought a tub. Whilst browsing the internet for local health food shops I came across Vitalife Japanese Matcha. The 30g is for beginner's grade and so far is the cheapest one I could find. Although if you are unsure about the taste of matcha Teapigs now does a 2g sample for £2. You can also purchase all the accessories for matcha, - such as the whisks and beginner kits, - on the Vitalife and Teapigs websites.



I think now I've found some matcha I can afford I'll finally buy some. I can't wait to experiment with it and possibly make some matcha truffles (the recipe from London Eats looks amazing).

Are you a big fan of green tea? Have you ever tried matcha?

Alice
  x

No comments:

Post a Comment